The day has come and the start of our design series for The Shelby model units is NOW HERE! We have heard your questions about the art and design in each of our model units and we now have some answers for you. Today, we are starting with our 1 BR / 1 BA model unit.
SwatchRoom – the design team behind several large installations and art curation throughout The Shelby‘s common areas – designed, procured, staged, and installed all elements of The Shelby‘s model units. This continuation of design allowed for the common thread of Industrial Americana to run through the entire design project. You will notice that the design of each model unit matches The Shelby story as well as the rest of the building.
During the conceptualization stage, SwatchRoom was tasked by Insight Property Group to design each space as not only inspirational, but attainable. It was important for future residents of The Shelby to feel that they could not only live in that space, but that they could adopt the style and/or replicate certain moments within the space in their own apartment when they moved into The Shelby.
SwatchRoom not only made each space warm and welcoming, but they thought about every small detail in the design. From a book placed ‘just so’ on a nightstand to a dish towel draped in just the right place, SwatchRoom brought the model units to life. Each unit felt as though you could immediately move into it and call it your home. AMERICANA REDEFINED.
✩ ✩ ✩
Recently, we went shopping to see if we could recreate the design of the 1 BR / 1 BA model unit. We shopped online and in stores that are LOCAL to The Shelby and you won’t believe what we found….
The Living Room in The Shelby 1 BR / 1 BA Model Unit
1. FLOOR LAMP // Floor Lamps are great for saving space in an apartment. We definitely appreciate furniture that doesn’t take up a lot of space, yet performs well. When it comes to lamps, performance is essential. Good lighting can make a room feel larger, brighter and more comfortable. When space is at a premium, look for lighting that takes up little precious space.
2. SIDE TABLE // This is a HUGE space saver! We love these b/c they have multiple uses for apartment living. The two pieces that flank the sofa in the model unit serve multiple purposes. They can act as an end-table, a stool, and/or a foot rest. They are functional pieces that are essential in apartment living.
3. SOFA // Neutral colors are KEY when it comes to selecting a great sofa. Using a neutral palette throughout a living room is one of the best ways to push back the walls. The eye can roam freely through a neutral palette, so the space feels more expansive. PLUS, it allows you to add great color and pattern with accessories such as throws and pillows.
[NOCKEBY Sofa- IKEA $599]
4. AREA RUG // Rule of Thumb: choose a rug that is two feet shorter than the smallest wall in the room. Wool rugs wear well and natural fiber rugs are durable.
5. COFFEE TABLE // This custom coffee table by SwatchRoom is made out of repurposed materials and steel. This piece pays homage to the Industrial Revolution and craftfully continues The Shelby story with an impactful piece into this model unit.
This piece is so unique that we couldn’t find something similar, but we DID find some coffee tables that keep within the Industrial style of design that you see throughout this space.
[Custom Coffee Table by SwatchRoom // Price upon request // Contact SwatchRoom]
[Top to Bottom: WORLD MARKET Wood and Metal Aiden Coffee Table $289.99 // HOME DEPOT Industrial Natural Reclaimed Adjustable Coffee Table $499 // OVERSTOCK Inspire Q Nelson Industrial Modern Rustic Table $240.02]
6. SIDE BOARD – HUTCH // Side boards have moved from the traditional dining room location to the kitchen and living rooms in a lot of apartments. They offer great storage and display area (in some) for an all-in-one piece as opposed to having multiple pieces of furniture to achieve this exact purpose. These larger pieces of furniture can be expensive, especially if you are looking for a certain finish or look. We found three GREAT pieces below that could be great investment pieces. However, if you are up for it, these larger pieces of furniture are great for a DIY project. We are lucky to have a couple great shops in the area such as Evolution Home (across Richmond Highway from The Shelby) and you can even hunt on Craigslist or local Goodwill of Greater Washington Retail Stores for some very similar pieces to refinish. It’s all about making the decision of whether you want to invest your $$ or your time. The hutch featured in the model unit is from Carbon Industrial Design – located in Alexandria, VA. If you are interested in this exact piece, you can contact them directly for a price.
[left to right: ARHAUS Kole Tall Cabinet SALE $1149 // RESTORATION HARDWARE French Casement Double-Door Sideboard and Hutch SALE starting at $1495 // ARHAUS Freeman Modular 46″ Display Cabinet SALE $1590]
7. ENTERTAINMENT CENTER // Just say NO to full-wall entertainment centers! These behemoths that take up entire walls are now being replaced by much simpler, mobile TV units. Now that TV’s can be hung on the wall, there is no need to have an entertainment center made for a 5,000 sq. foot home. We loved the rustic repurposed look (and storage) of the entertainment centers below.
//HINT// There is a Crate & Barrel OUTLET less than 10-minutes from The Shelby where we found the smaller model of the first entertainment center below. DEFINITELY check out the outlet for some great finds!
8. FLOATING SHELVES // Wall-mounted shelving is essential to organizing a small space. Just make sure you pay attention to the mounting and the max weight that the shelf will hold. We found hundreds of options for floating shelves. From IKEA to WALMART to POTTERY BARN, you will be able to find a style that fits your design (and weight) needs.
[Top to Bottom: HOME DEPOT Home Decorators Collection Floating Shelf $19.98 // TARGET Threshold Modern Wall Ledge Collection – Assorted Sizes & Colors $39.99 // WALMART Plank Floating Wall Shelf Oak $29.62 // HOUZZ Punky Hill Distressed Shelf $49]
Open Gourmet Kitchen with Movable Kitchen Island // 1 BR – 1 BA Model Unit
9 – 10 – 11 – 12. ACCENTS & NOVELTY ART // This is a great way to show off your individual style. Accents allow you to decorate with items that mean something to you and really personalize your home. You can decorate with anything from family relics, items from your travels, books, and/or even items that you just happen to like. If you are a person that likes to DIY, this is where you can get VERY creative. You can purchase vintage magazines and frame the cover and/or vintage ads to place on a gallery wall. We found a piece below from Anthroplogie that has framed vintage love letters. This is something that can be purchased, but you could also put something like this together on your own. Again, it’s whether you want to invest $$ or time.
[clockwise: ZGALLERIE Cooper the Boxer $149.95 // Vintage LIFE Magazines – ETSY, EBay, Goodwill Retail Store // WORLD MARKET Teak Root Wood Vase $39.99 // ZGALLERIE Phalenopsis Spray Set of 3 $50.85 // Anthropologie Love Notes Vintage Wall Art $498]
13. COUNTER STOOLS // With the rise of open floor plans, bar stools have taken a more prominent position in the home. Dining tables seem to be fading (especially in apartment living) in favor of breakfast bars and dining counters. We found two ADJUSTABLE counter stools below that are very similar to the counter stools featured in the 1 BR / 1 BA model unit. Both WORLD MARKET and TARGET had options with backs on them as well.
✩ ✩ ✩
1 BR / 1 BA Model Unit at The Shelby
14. BEDSIDE LAMP // When it comes to putting together a bedroom, lighting is VERY important. We loved that SwatchRoom used a desk lamp as a bedside lamp on the nightstand. You can easily adjust the bulb to allow for softer lighting and it’s great focused light if you like to read at night without disturbing anyone.
15 & 18. WALL ART – PHOTOGRAPHY // There are two beautiful pieces of art featured in the bedroom of this model unit. The first piece (shown below) is positioned in the entryway to the bedroom and there is a second piece (above) that is showcased above the headboard. These two prints of original photographs by Photographer Dominique Fierro, were curated by SwatchRoom. Dominique’s aesthetic worked beautifully with the rustic, yet sophisticated, design of this unit. You can see Dominique’s work throughout common areas in The Shelby – details HERE.
[Price upon request // Contact SwatchRoom]
16. HEADBOARD // Headboards are a great way to make a bold impact with your bedroom decor. This expanded steel and distressed wood headboard (pictured below) is a custom piece by SwatchRoom. This piece is so unique that we couldn’t find something similar, but we DID find some coffee tables that keep within the Industrial style of design that you see throughout this space.
[Custom Headboard by SwatchRoom // Price upon request // Contact SwatchRoom]
17.THROW PILLOWS // Sometimes all you need to make your room look finished is a pop of color or pattern in your space. Whether it’s in the living room, bedroom, or anywhere else you need it, you can typically throw a pillow in that space to freshen it up and add color. This is a great way to mix and match patterns, colors and textures. SwatchRoom did a great job of mixing all three of these essentials with the throw pillows they selected for the bedroom and living room.
✩ ✩ ✩
ADDITIONAL PLACES TO SHOP IN & AROUND ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA
If you have any questions or need additional information about any of the pieces or design within the 1 BR / 1 BA model unit at The Shelby, please do not hesitate to ask!